2009 MACUL Preconference Workshops:March 18th, 2009 @ 8:30am - 4:30pm:
A one-day course with hands-on labs that covers the steps required for the planning, testing and migrating of an existing NetWare/GroupWise network to Microsoft Active Directory/Exchange. The course will include details on the new features available with Windows Server 2008 and Exchange 2007 and how they can be leveraged to provide a more secure, reliable and more cost-effective infrastructure. The hands-on labs will walk attendees through the migration process for both Active Directory and Exchange migrations and include recommendations for best practices and third-party tools. The course will also cover the advantages of an Active Directory network and include a demo on Windows SharePoint Services (comes with W2K8) and how it can be deployed to provide portals for collaboration. March 18th, 2009 @ 8:30am - 12:00pm:
The Software as a Service (SaaS) model offers advantages of reduced costs and administrative by eliminating software maintenance and technical support for local IT staff. However, SaaS raises questions regarding identity management and access control. This session will show how Access Manager and Identity Manager address issues such as: How to synchronize Microsoft Active Directory with Novell eDirectory. How does an organization manage accounts in a hosted system? How can terminated employees be prevented from accessing company data? How can new users be quickly provisioned? Will users need to remember additional credentials in order to login? This session will answer these questions by example using the Google Apps productivity and collaboration suite - a free / low-cost solution for academic institutions. Single-Sign-On between your existing directory and Google Apps will be demonstrated using an open standard supported by Access Manager. Integration with Microsoft Windows desktops in an Active Directory environment will be demonstrated and Identity Manager, along with the IdM Connector for Google Apps will be used to demonstrate provisioning/de-provisioning of accounts in Google. March 18th, 2009 @ 1:00pm - 4:30pm:
If securing your managed devices is a concern for your district, attend this session and discover what ZENworks Endpoint Security Management is all about. From locking out USB devices, to granting read only access to CD/DVD burners to configuring a personal firewall, all from a centralized console. Also discussed will be Application Control, Encryption and Wireless security. More detail for ZENworks Endpoint Security can be found here: http://www.novell.com/products/zenworks/endpointsecuritymanagement. The presenter will also briefly cover the current ZENworks Configuration Management offering along with the newer offerings in the ZENworks product line (Application Virtualization, ZENworks Network Access Control) and answer any questions you might have along the way. What is SIGTECH?
Special Interest Group for Technicians or SIGTECH is the group designed for school district personnel who are in charge of handling the hardware and technical areas of computers.SIGTECH is committed to serving those that implement and support technology tools and solutions in educational setting across the state of Michigan. SIGTECH will help its membership identify common issues and will provide various forums to disseminate solutions to those issues.
- Maintain membership at a healthy level.
- Create professional development opportunities based on member feedback.
- Continue collaboration with SIGTC.
- Promote SIGTECH activities on state technology directors listserv (techc).
- Publish at least two articles in the journal.
- Maintain a useful web site presence.
- Actively support the State Technology Directors Meeting.
- Investigate further collaborations with MSBO, CoSN, MAEDS.
- Provide at least one full day or two half day sessions during Pre-Con
- Assist in staffing at the Annual Conference
Join the macul-sigtech ListServ
A listserv is a mailing list on the Internet on which information can be disseminated and shared, and where professional conversations can take place. To subscribe to the listserv go to:http://mail.eup.k12.mi.us/mailman/listinfo/macul-sigtech
Once you have successfully subscribed you will receive an E-mail message telling you how to unsubscribe from the mailing list. Be sure to save this message for future use.
Join the Tech's Workbench on MACUL Space:
SIGTECH Events Calendar
• September 15, 2009 - MACUL Board Meeting - SIGTECH represented
• Fall 2009 – State Technology Directors Meeting - to be announced - SIGTECH represented
• October 20, 2009 - MACUL Board Meeting, Lansing - SIGTECH represented
• January 19, 2010 - MACUL Board meeting, Lansing - SIGTECH represented
• March 10, 2010 – MACUL Pre-conference – topic(s) to be announced, Grand Rapids, DeVos Hall
• March 11-12, 2010 - MACUL Annual Conference, Grand Rapids, Amway Grand/DeVos Hall. SIGTECH/SIGTC Annual Meeting.
• May 2010 - MACUL Board/SIG Annual Retreat - all officers attend
2008 Preconferences Presentations:
ZENworks Desktop Management to the New ZENworks Configuration Management
ZENworks Imaging and How to Reduce the Number of Required Workstation Images
Designing a District-Wide Portal & Intranet Using Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 Part 1 of 2
Designing a District-Wide Portal & Intranet Using Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 Part 2 of 2
Gaining Control Over Your Network: Deploying Microsoft System Center to Increase IT Efficiency Part 1 of 3Useful Links
* Bandwidth Meter speed test ‑The CNET Bandwidth Meter speed test will check the bandwidth of your Internet connection against top DSL, cable modem, and other broadband services. The bandwidth test is as easy as 1, 2, 3. http://reviews.cnet.com/7004-7254_7-0.html
* RTEC Online TechPlanBuilder *‑ *ensures compliance with the No Child Left Behind Act*s (NCLB) Enhancing Education through Technology (EETT). TPB leads you through a series of interviews and worksheets that
when complete, generates a district technology plan that is ready for
approval, use, and updating. http://wested.org/techplanbuilder
* Partfinder.com http://partfinder.com/
* Solve your problems at PC Hell.com. http://pchell.com/
* PASSWORD CRACKERS http://www.pwcrack.com/
* O'Reilly Hacks http://hacks.oreilly.com/
* Bob Cerelli's Windows Page http://www.onecomputerguy.com/